Tuesday, January 25, 2011

Kambree's Surgery

Kambree went in yesterday to Primary Childrens Medical Center to have surgery. She got her tonsils and adnoids taken out and tubes put in her ears. They were not sure if they were going to do the surgery since Kambree had been a bit sick, but the dr felt (and I agreed) that with how many infections she was catching there was really not going to be a perfect time to have the surgery and we may as well just do it.


We got the hospital just after 7am. She got checked in and changed into her gown. Her Cinderella doll never left her side during this part of the day. Primary's is nice cause the rooms are come with random things for the kids to do while they are waiting. Here Kambree is playing with some letters on the wall.


My grandpa and mom showed up just after 8. We got moved to another waiting room where Kambree was not excited about the day so far. All she wanted was her milk and was quite unhappy that we were not letting her have some. (She could not eat past midnight. Kambree is our eater so she was not used to going that long without food.)

Finally about 9:15 they came back and talked to us about the surgery and the anesthesiologist (who I did not love... I hear he is great at what he does... just had a bad attitude) came and took Kambree back to the OR. I was pretty prepared to cry, but she just went right along and was not sad at all so I think that made it easier on me. My mom even warned my grandpa that I would probably be a mess... I showed them!

The three of us went down to eat some breakfast while she was in surgery. We got back up the waiting room just as the dr was coming out. Kambree's ENT, Dr. Grimmer (who I really liked) told us that her adnoids were HUGE. On a scale from 1-4 she was a 4. They were so large that they had the whole airway blocked off. He said it was a good thing we did the surgery today. She also had a double ear infection (second one this month) so it's a good thing we went ahead with the tubes too.


When they let me go back to the PACU to see Kambree I was a bit unsure of what to expect. I knew she would be grumpy so I prepared myself. I came back to a little girl who was struggling to get out of the nurses arms and was covered in blood. I guess something had popped and caused her to bleed. The doctors came and looked and the bleeding stopped so she was ok. This is where I did my crying. Not lots, but it is so sad to see your little baby sobbing with blood all over her. I thought I would be ok here since I work on the surgical floor in this very hospital, but everything changes when it's your own child.

We got her cleaned up and moved to a different room and my mom and grandpa were able to come back.


My mom and grandpa were so sweet and stayed til just after 2pm. What a long day for them, but I was so grateful for their support and help!


Kambree loves her grandparents. I didn't get a picture when my dad was there visiting but she just perked right up and snuggled with him. My grandpa was the first one to get her to laugh and my parents were some of the only other ones who were able to get smiles from her, so we were so grateful for them!


She went through bouts most of the day. She would sleep, then wake up sobbing, then struggle to get comfortable, then fall back to sleep. In the afternoon she started to have more awake time where we got a few smiles out of her.


She laid her babies on her bed. She was not a huge fan of it at first, but wanted her babies to be comfortable.


These little babies were kind of a part of her. She took her Cinderella one back to surgery with her and got her Tiana one after surgery. She loves her dolls!


KC spent the first part of the day home with a Jackson and a sick Kaylee. He took them both to the doctor before coming over. Kaylee just has a virus and Jackson has a double ear infection. Jackson has been in great spirits the past handful of days... I just thought I noticed some yucky stuff in his ear so I figured we had better have him checked. They came and KC stayed and I took the other 2 with me. Jackson got to go play with his friend, which he thought was about the neatest thing ever and he talked about the whole rest of the night. He fell asleep at their dinner table. I guess all the excitement of the day was just too much for him. Another neighbor brought us some dinner which I took up to KC and we ate. We are so lucky to have such amazing friends and neighbors who were willing to help out! We would not have been able to do it without them!


After a long day we left KC at the hospital at about 10pm for him to spend the night. I took Jackson and Kaylee home and got them to bed. This is what we left Kambree to do... watch shows on daddys computer with her babies, a bunny she got from one of her nurses, and her sippy of apple juice.


She also got to color with dad's highlighters which she thought was pretty cool cause she doesn't usually get to color with those. She is always bringing them to us saying, 'open this' and gets mad when we won't.


At 11:30pm when I was getting ready to go to bed I texted KC to see if Kambree had falled asleep yet. This was the picture I got back on my phone! Kambree had pulled her own IV out earlier and was finally able to keep her O2 up on her own so she was allowed to unhook and go for a walk. I guess she figured she had slept all night and was ready to party.



After her walk in the little car thing she went on a wagon ride!

Poor thing finally fell asleep between 12:30 and 1am. They let her come home this afternoon which she told KC she didn't want to do. She seems to be happy to be home though. She was sure excited to be rid of all those cords she was attached to.

She is still far from happy, but all things considered she is doing really well. We sure love that baby girl of ours!!!

We are so grateful for our family and friends who are helping and have helped. I really don't know if we could have done it without them. We feel so blessed!

2 comments:

Amie said...

I'm glad everything went ok with her surgery. She seems so much older than Macy, but I think Macy is older than her. Anyway, Kambree is so cute and such a trooper.

Bryanna Johnson said...

That sounds like quite the ordeal. I'm glad it went pretty well. I don't blame you for shedding a few tears.