Tuesday, December 1, 2009

Temple Square


For family night we went to Temple Square. Jackson discovered lights and how much he enjoys them just this last Sunday. We spent the whole drive home from my parents house looking for different lights out the window. So we decided we needed to take Jackson to see all the lights at Temple Square. I had been preparing Jackson to go see them all day, telling him we would go see the big lights. Each time I would say this he would run over and touch the lights on our tree, say HOT, and then run away laughing. What a silly kid!

They had all of their nativities set up around temple square from the different countries. Then they had a beautiful scene of Joseph, Mary, and baby Jesus in the middle of the reflecting pond, surrounded by little tea lights. It was such a beautiful scene right in front of the temple!


It was so fun to show the kid the lights! Kambree just stared at them in awe. Jackson kept shouting and squealing. It was really enjoyable to share that with them. But what I really enjoyed about this trip was talking to Jackson about the temple, about baby Jesus, and about the Christus Statue in the visitors center. Jackson has a Book of Mormon Stories book that we read during sacrament meeting. Each time he sees the picture of Jesus coming to visit the Nephites he yells out, 'MY Jesus'. I am sure he just does this because he is a little boy who feels he needs to claim property of everything he can but I still find it so sweet that he knows that this is HIS Jesus. That Jesus did what He did for Jackson. I like to think that part of Jackson understands that! That he knows that he is a Son of our Heavenly Father and that Jesus did what He did for all of us, but also for Jackson as an individual. So it was really fun to try to explain the story of Christs birth in terms a 2 year old could understand, and then to watch him get so excited as he understood different parts of the story.



In church last week the lesson was about remembering to put Christ as the focus on Christmas. I am not sure how much of all of the story or all of the things I tell Jackson he is really understanding, but if nothing else it is a great reminder for me and I feel the spirit so strong as I talk with Jackson about these things. And my hope is the more we talk about it the more Jackson understands. I am so lucky to have my eternal family here on earth. And I am so grateful for my Savior for making that possible! I LOVE the CHRISTmas season!!!

2 comments:

Bryanna Johnson said...

What a sweet post! Jackson is a pretty smart kid.

Sheffers said...

Looks like you had fun, I am glad the trees were not hot. Way to kick off the christmas season. Your tree looks great too!