Wednesday, March 28, 2012

Easter FAIL

I have so many posts to do, but life has been crazy as of late so I haven't gotten around to it. I will though... in time.

Yesterday the kids and I were on our way to my moms for our weekly pizza get together. On the way they mentioned Easter a couple times as though it were an actual object or a destination. I decided this would be a good time to talk to them about the real reason we celebrate Easter (they were buckled in so they couldn't go anywhere.... plus there were no toys to distract!).

I started out asking them if they remember why we celebrate Christmas. After a few random responses we got to the one I was looking for, Christs birth. I explained at Easter we celebrate Christ too. I talked to them about Christs life and how when he was around dads age some bad people wanted him to die. Using my simplest language I told them a little more about what they did and that he died. Jackson met that with, 'if there were ninjas there he wouldn't have died' (he is really on a ninja kick right now). 'Maybe not' I said, 'but Jesus' death was for more than just because the bad guys got him.' I then did my best to explain about Resurrection and how Jesus died so that he could be resurrected after 3 days. He did this so that we could be resurrected after we die too.
'I DON'T WANT TO DIE' was the scream that came from the back of the van!! Doing what I thought to be a great job of explaining that it didn't mean he was going to die right now, but that everyone dies at some point, though hopefully it wouldn't be for a really really long time. This was met with silence for a minute, then hysterical cries from Jackson and Kambree about how they don't want to die!!

Way to ruin Easter! Take advantage of teaching moments mom of the year right here!!!

1 comment:

Rachel said...

So cute! Kids take away lots of different things from our messages.