Friday, January 27, 2012

VPI

So, still no Christmas post. I know... I'm pathetic. I'm still trying to catch up from our weeks of sickness. It seems the kids and KC all took turns passing it around and around. I therefore was so tired due to taking care of them that every minute I got was spent catching up on things that got put off or sleeping.

I did figure I would do a quick update on Kambree's ENT appointment. I went expecting a quick check up, hearing test, and getting out of there. No luck for us!

Kambree BOMBED her hearing test! She has quite a hearing loss. When they did a test to see how big her ear way was we discovered she has no where near what it should be. This is due to more fluid build up. Good news is she has perfect hearing from her cochlea so if we can just keep up with the infections/fluid build up in her ears we should be able to get that hearing back up. In order to begin the combat of those things we are going in February 9th for her second set of tubes. The doctor said looking at her ears he expects this won't be our last time either. Poor kid. I know it's such a minimal surgery, I just hate seeing my child put under. Also, I hate what it does to my wallet!

The other thing we discovered is that she probably has something called Velopharyngeal insufficiency or VPI. In short there is too much room in the back of her throat and air is passing between her throat and her nose when it shouldn't be. It makes her words sound nasal-ish.... like when you have a cold and are stuffy. It's something they didn't notice last time cause her adnoids were so large that there was NO airway prior to getting them out. There is a good chance that those darn adnoids played a part in this problem. So when we got rid of them it became more evident. There are a few problems this could cause. Nothing that will need to be addressed immediately though, so that's good. We are going to sit on it for a year and re address it when we meet up for her yearly check up.

So all in all, not the news we were expecting, but not terrible. It's do able! Everyone is healthy now so I will do my best to get my Christmas post done soon!

1 comment:

Sycamore Girl said...

Wow. What an interesting condition! Never heard of that before. I hope everything goes well in Feb and you see some improvement!